All business owners require to opt for income and expense management. They need to supervise their business’ health constantly. After all, it helps in keeping the cash flow smooth. But it is not so easy to do all these things alone, and having an expert solution may prove to be fruitful. This is when QuickBooks can come to use.
At present, QuickBooks has become a highly utilized bookkeeping solution. However, even being an easy-to-use platform, users are encountering technical errors, which hamper their workflow. One such problem is the “QuickBooks Abort Error.” So, let us see what it is and how to fix it:
QuickBooks Abort Error:
The Abort Error of QuickBooks takes place when a user encounters problems while accessing the files of the company. When this error shows up, the user is unable to make any change in those files and the QuickBooks account as well. Also, you might receive an error message that pops up on the screen and says that the connection to the files of the company is lost.
So, if you are performing any work, and all of a sudden it takes place, the error needs to be resolved, and each of the changes needs to be repeated that you had done before. Usually, this damage is caused to the QBWUSER.ini file.
How to Fix QuickBooks Abort Error?
In case you are facing a QuickBooks Abort error, there is nothing to panic about because the problem can be fixed with some easy solutions.
Before jumping straight away to fix the problem, check that you have a constant and proper network connection from the server to access the data file. You will need to check the hosting status in QuickBooks as well.
The solutions for solving the error are discussed below:
Solution 1: Stop hosting the multi-user access
To do it correctly, go through the following steps:
- First of all, the QuickBooks application needs to be opened.
- Then, you will need to visit the menu bar and open “File.”
- Then “Utilities” need to be selected.
- Then, you will need to tap on “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.”
- You will find an option that says “Open a file in multi-user mode,” and you will need to checkmark the box.
Then, run QuickBooks to see if the problem persists.
Solution 2: Restart your device and disable antivirus
Restarting solves several problems easily. Antivirus software is designed to block security threats to the system. Therefore, sometimes they block certain software programs from operating in the system. This may lead to the QuickBooks Abort error.
Thus, you may try fixing the problem by disabling the antivirus, allowing updates and other information shared by Intuit for QuickBooks to get downloaded automatically. So, follow the steps given below to do it right:
- First of all, you will need to restart the computer system.
- Then, visit the “Control Panel” to disable the antivirus temporarily.
- Then, re-open QuickBooks and see if the problem is still there.
Solution 3: Rename the QBWUSER.INI file
This particular method is put to use in case the user cannot open a file that is lying in the network location. For renaming the file, check out the following steps carefully:
- In the first place, see if the folder is visible or hidden.
- If you cannot find the folder, you will need to enable all the hidden folders and files for viewing the QBWUSER.ini file.
- After browsing for the QBWUSER.ini folder, you will need to make a right-click on the said folder.
- Then, tap on the rename option.
- You need to add “.old” at the file name’s end.
- Then, you will have to rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file.
- After the changes are made for both the files, you need to try opening the QuickBooks Company file.
- In case you can open it easily but still encounter some problems while trying to open the actual files of the company, you are recommended to copy the file to a different folder. You will need to access it from the new location. It must be a local folder, a network location.
Solution 4: Repair QuickBooks
For repairing QuickBooks, follow the below-mentioned steps carefully:
- In the very first place, the QuickBooks platform needs to be closed along with all the other programs that are running in the background.
- Then, you will have to open “Task Manager.”
- After that, the programs associated with QuickBooks need to be selected.
- After that, you will have to click on “End Task” to stop all the programs that are running.
- In the system, you will have to run “Repair QuickBooks.”
- You will have to press the Windows + E keys together on the keyboard to open the File Explorer or the computer window.
- Then, you will have to select the “Uninstall or change the program” option.
- After that, “QuickBooks” need to be clicked upon.
- Then you will need to tap on the “Uninstall/Change” option.
- Then, you will again have to visit QuickBooks’ installation window.
- After that, you will have to tap on the “Repair” button.
- Then, click on the “Next” button and tap on the “Repair” button again that is displayed at the screen’s bottom.
- After the process is completed, you will have to tap on the “Finish” button, and the program will get repaired successfully.
- In some cases, you may be asked to restart the system.
- Finally, QuickBooks needs to be opened, and you can start with your work.
Solution 5: Download and run the QuickBooks Diagnostic tool
Downloading and installing the QuickBooks diagnostic tool can prove to be useful. This particular tool mainly highlights and analyzes the problematic components of windows and solves problems in them. To do this correct, follow the steps given below:
- You will need to download the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool.
- Then, the setup file needs to be installed.
- The file gets locally saved on the computer.
- You will have to double-click on the file to install the program.
- It is better if you can stop other apps that are running because they may interfere with the process.
- Then, the tool needs to be run, and the software needs to be repaired.
- Finally, restart your computer and see if the problem is fixed or not.
Solution 6: Restore QuickBooks from backup
In case all the steps mentioned above do not work, try restoring QuickBooks from the backup of your system.
While you do this, make an Admin user for Windows. The majority of the time, it resolves the root problem that triggers the QuickBooks Abort error and prevents it from reoccurring.
Why Does QuickBooks Keep Aborting?
There are plenty of reasons behind the user encountering the QuickBooks Abort Error. Some of the popular reasons behind this error to take place are stated below:
- There may be the existence of program files that are corrupted or damaged.
- You are making use of an old or outdated version of QuickBooks, or any update is pending.
- The firewall and antivirus may trigger an error in the system by aborting QuickBooks’ functionalities.
- Disruption between the data flow of devices that store the files.
- Hibernation or sleep mode is accidentally turned on while the computer is working to save all the company files.
- The Operating System (OS) is damaged.
- There exists a problem with the hardware that is linked with QuickBooks.
- The corrupted or missing QBWUSER.ini file can also trigger the aborting error.
- You are making use of a damaged or corrupted hard drive.
- In case different users host the company file of QuickBooks, it may lead to such problems.
With the above-mentioned fixtures, you can easily solve the QuickBooks Abort error almost every time. However, in case your problem is still not solved, it might be something serious. So, it is better to seek expert assistance to get the problem solved as fast as possible.
If you are not familiar with technologies, it is recommended not to try doing things all alone because you may end up losing everything in your system.