QuickBooks Desktop software is accounting software that will always help you to manage the finances of a particular organisation. The software is full of different features that cover almost every aspect of accounts. The software is so reliable that you can easily trust each and everything that it does to save you on taxes and file it on the due date which will obviously save you from any penalty and save you that extra money also. The software has always been on the top priority list of almost every bookkeeper and accountant, especially in the western world. Now that you know that it is one of the best accounting software and it sells in a large number as well, but there is also a disadvantage that it has that it is prone to different errors and issues and QuickBooks Error Code C=21 is one of them.
QuickBooks Error Code C=21 is an error that is related to a backup file error, and when you get this error on your computer screen then you will not be able to take a backup which may end in losing some of your important data. In this blog, you will get to know more about the QuickBooks Error C21 and some important aspects related to the same, so please read the whole blog attentively.
What is QuickBooks Error Code C=21
It is not a hidden thing that the QuickBooks Desktop software is prone to different errors and issues and that is one of the main disadvantages of this accounting software. Talking about the QuickBooks Error code C=21, like already mentioned the QuickBooks Error C21 is one error that occurs when you try to take a backup of your company file in QuickBooks Desktop software.
To fix an error you need to understand the error better and to understand it better you need to know the root causes that will help you to finally fix this issue. To know the root causes you must read our following section that will give you clarity about the root causes of QuickBooks Error C21.
Reasons for QuickBooks Error Code C=21
The root causes can be described as the primary reasons that may help you understand the occurrence of the QuickBooks Error C21. The primary reasons behind the QuickBooks Error C21 are given below:
- The backup file is frequently stored on a storage device that is inaccessible, which causes the error.
- Any damage to the company file might lead to an error like this.
- Incorrect backup path setting is another reason for QuickBooks freezing.
- If the file name of the firm is more than 65 characters long.
- When a user attempts to make a backup on an external hard drive, this error might also occur.
- This error may also arise if the company file is larger than 3GB.
These are the primary reasons behind the occurrence of QuickBooks Error C21, you can fix these kinds of errors and issues by using some of the tools and manual solutions which has been detailed in our next segment so do read that next section attentively.
How to solve QuickBooks Error Code C=21
As it has already been mentioned above that you might face errors and issues while working on the QuickBooks Desktop software and QuickBooks Error C21 is one of those errors that you might face while trying to take the backup of your QuickBooks Desktop software. The following are some of the manual solutions that may help you to fix the QuickBooks Error C21 so please read and apply them after reading them carefully:
Solution 1: Using the new Company file name in QuickBooks Desktop: Using the new company file name in QuickBooks Desktop software can help you to fix the QuickBooks Error C21 and to do that you need to follow the steps that are given below:
- The first step in the technique is to go to the QuickBooks ‘File menu’ and choose ‘Open or Restore’ an existing business.
- After that, the user must choose ‘Open a business file’ before proceeding to ‘Next.’
- The last step is to touch on ‘Open’ and choose the ‘New business file name.’
These are the methods that will help you to change the name of the company file that will finally help you to fix the QuickBooks Error C21 and if in case the error persists then you must move on to the next solution.
Solution 2: Backup your company’s files to an external hard drive or a USB flash drive: Taking a backup of your company files to an external drive or a USB flash drive can also help you to fix the QuickBooks Error C21 and to do that you need to follow the steps that are given below:
- The first step is to go to the ‘File’ menu and choose ‘Save Copy or Backup’ from the drop-down menu.
- After that, choose ‘Backup copy’ and then press ‘Next.’
- After that, the user must choose ‘Local Backup’ before moving on to ‘Next.’
- When prompted, the user should choose ‘Save it now’ and then click on ‘Next.’
- Then go to a spot on the local disk and press the save button.’
- Shut down QuickBooks Desktop and go on to the next step.
- Now go to the local disk and look for the backup file.
- Then, right-click on the file and choose ‘copy’ from the menu.
- After that, launch a ‘Windows Explorer’ window.
- Then, to access the external drive or flash drive, double-click the drive letter that corresponds to it.
- Simply right-click on ‘File’ and pick the ‘Paste’ option, and you’re done.
These are the steps that will help you to take backup of your Company file to an external hard drive or a USB flash drive that may help you to fix the QuickBooks Error C21 and if in case this manual solution doesn’t help you to fix the error you can always move on to the next given solution.
Solution 3: Rename the QuickBooks Desktop Company file to anything else: To avoid any errors, the user must make a backup of the company file before making any changes. If the user is using Loan Manager, the loan manager information must also be regenerated every time the company file is renamed:
- The first step is to open the corporate file and then ‘start the Desktop.’
- The next step is to access the ‘Product Information’ window by pressing F2 or Ctrl+1.
- Remember to write down where the business file is located in the ‘File information box.’
- Navigate to the business file’s location now. This step may differ depending on the Windows version, such as:
Please note that users of Windows 10, 8.1, and 8 must right-click the ‘Windows start’ button and then pick ‘File Explorer.’ Other users must right-click the ‘Windows start’ button and then pick the ‘open windows explorer option in Windows 7 and Vista.
- The next step is to right-click the file and choose ‘Rename’ from the menu that appears.
- After that, the user must input the new company file name and then press the ‘Enter’ key. If Windows asks the user to confirm the action, choose ‘Yes’.
These are the steps that will help you to rename the QuickBooks Desktop company file to anything else that will certainly help you to fix the QuickBooks Error C21.
How To Get Support For QuickBooks Error Code C=21?
As has already been mentioned that the QuickBooks Desktop software is prone to different errors and issues, but it is like this with every other accounting software. All of these errors and issues can be fixed by using some of the manual solutions and tools, the methods have already been detailed in this blog, but talking about the tools QuickBooks Tool Hub and QuickBooks File Doctor are the two tools that can very easily be downloaded from our website.
You can also talk to one of our customer representatives that are available at the QuickBooks Desktop Error Support you just need to tap on the link and one of our customer representatives will call you at your suitable time to resolve your issue. Please note that these QuickBooks specialists are highly trained and are available to help you at any given point of time on weekdays. You can ask them about any issue related to the QuickBooks Desktop software and they will help you to resolve the issue in no time.
To summarise, QuickBooks Desktop software is accounting software that has been in the market for quite a few years now. This accounting software has always been regarded by all kinds of bookkeepers and accountants. The problem that the software has is that it is prone to errors and issues and QuickBooks Error C21 is one of them. The whole idea of this blog is to help you understand that how can you fix the QuickBooks Error Code C=21 by using some of the manual solutions which have been detailed above. I hope that this blog proves to be a little helpful and was worth a read.