Guide to W-2s for 2020 taxes
Your state W-2s are automatically sent to the state when your federal W-2s are filed if you use a separate QuickBooks or Intuit payroll service.
If you’re in any of the states listed here:
District of Columbia
Step 1: Create your W-2s to send to your state:
- Create the file you’ll submit to the state by following these measures.
- Employees, Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s, and State W-2 E-file are the options.
- Continue should be selected twice.
- Select Get QuickBooks Data from the dropdown menu after selecting your state.
- Choose OK. If necessary, correct any errors or add the missing information.
- Choose Start Interview from the QuickBooks Payroll State W-2 dropdown on the Add-Ins tab.
- Select the checkbox. I am aware that I must review my information and respond to the following questions. Then choose Next.
- Make a mental note of the file’s name and location. Next should be selected.
- Answer the interview questions and double-check any auto-populated details.
- Continue pressing Next until you hit the End of Interview screen.
- Select OK after selecting Create W-2 File.
- To save the Excel workbook for your documents, choose Yes.
Step 2: Go to the website of your state department: Go to the website of your state department in a web browser.
Please note that if you live in Hawaii, you must submit your W-2s to the department.
Step 3: Upload your W-2s from each territory: Follow the directions on your state agency’s website to upload your file. Make sure your W-2 file complies with any state-specific file specifications.
If you live in one of the following states: Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Montana, North Dakota, Utah, Virginia, or Wisconsin,
QuickBooks allows you to register your W-2s electronically.
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Employees, Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s, and Process Payroll Forms are the options.
- Pick your state worksheet from the File Forms section.
- Examine the Select Filing Period year and make any necessary changes.
- Choose OK.
- Until e-filing, fill out the W-2 worksheet and select Check for errors to ensure everything is correct.
- Select E-file when you’re finished.
- Please include your email address as well as a phone number where you can be reached.
- Choose Submit.
If you live in the state of New Jersey: To file your state W-2s, follow the instructions given by the State of New Jersey.
If you live in California, Iowa, or New York, you don’t need to file a separate W-2 for each state. It’s part of your federal W-2 file.
If you live in one of the following states: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, or Wyoming,
Since your state does not have a state withholding tax, you do not need to file any state W-2s.
How to create your W-2 forms:
- Go to Payroll Tax Forms and W-2s, then Employees.
- Select Process Payroll Forms from the drop-down menu.
- Select Annual Form W-2/W-3 – Wage and Tax Statement/Transmittal from the File Forms section and click Create Form.
- Use the scroll bar to scroll down the list to find the type.
- If the form does not appear in the list, it may be inactive.
- Choose to Make a New Form Active from the Forms drop-down arrow to trigger the form. Choose Federal from the State drop-down arrow. Add Form after selecting the W-2 form. In the File Forms section, you should now be able to locate and choose the W-2 format.
How to submit your W-2s:
- To file by batch, go to the Process W-2s page and pick All Employees or Employee’s Last Name (choose From and To).
- In the Select Filing Period portion, select the year of the form you’re filing and click OK.
- Pick the employees you’re filing for in the Select Employees for Form W-2/W-3 window. You may also choose Mark All to pick all of the employees on the screen.
- Select E-File Federal Forms from the drop-down menu.
- On the login page, enter your company’s phone number and email address. We use your email address to inform you when the agency has approved your request.
- Submit the form.
In conclusion, QuickBooks Desktop software helps you with almost everything related to the finances of a particular organisation. In this specific blog, you will know more about creating W2s that will help you pay the taxes on time. I hope that this blog helped you and was worth a read.