QuickBooks Online is the online product offered by Intuit for small to medium businesses to manage their operations and tasks. In this regard, the need to log in every time is crucial, especially since you are working from an online database that is not limited to a single system. However, one error that you may face often when using the QuickBooks Online product is that of being unable to log in. This may be due to various reasons and thus, it is crucial to know of all the ways in which you can resolve it. So, keep reading to know more about the different ways in which you can resolve the issue of not being able to log into your QuickBooks Online account.
How to Login to QuickBooks Online
There are two ways of logging in to your QuickBooks Online account. The first is logging in using your Google account and the other is logging in directly with your QuickBooks user ID and password. Logging in using your Google account is a one-time process and you can easily switch between the QuickBooks Online program and G Suite. Here’s how to log in using both methods:
- Logging in using Google credentials
- Access the QuickBooks Online webpage.
- Choose the option of ‘Sign-in with Google’.
- Enter your Google account credentials associated with your QuickBooks account, using either your email ID or phone number along with your password.
- Logging in using QuickBooks credentials
- Access the QuickBooks Online webpage.
- Enter your E-mail ID or User ID in the given area. Alternatively, you can also enter your phone number by choosing the tab stating ‘Phone’ beside it.
- Enter your password after clicking on ‘Sign In’.
- Sign in successfully after entering your QuickBooks password.
What to do when QuickBooks Not able to login
While the process of logging in is relatively simple in QuickBooks, you may often face issues with logging in to your account itself. This can create issues for you regarding accessing your facilities and activities. So, regardless of whether you are already facing the issue or are yet to face it, staying aware of how to resolve it can be incredibly beneficial in promptly dealing with the issue in the future as well. Considering this, here are 8 solutions that you can implement if you are facing the issue of being unable to log in to your QuickBooks account.
- Use a Different Login Link
Although the most commonly used link for signing in is https://qbo.intuit.com, you can also try to log in with different links and interfaces to find out if the link is causing the issue for you. You can try to log in by visiting the official site of QuickBooks Online, https://quickbooks.intuit.com/, and log in using the ‘Sign In’ options present at the top-right of the page. This is one of the most basic solutions to resolve the issue of not being able to log in. If this basic solution does not work, then move on to the next solution explained below.
- Use Incognito Mode
Often the issue of not being able to log in arises due to the caches and cookies being stored in your computer after your last browsing session. In this case, you are also facing the issue due to caches and cookies, you can open a new Incognito window for your Google Chrome session and try to log in using that window. For browsing through the incognito mode, you can either,
- Go to the ‘More Options’ feature on the top-right of the window, represented by the 3 vertical dots on the page.
- In this option, click on ‘New Incognito Window’ to open a new incognito window.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + N on your keyboard after having a normal Google tab open.
If operating through the incognito window does not work, then move on to the next solution explained below.
- Clear the Cache
Based on the same reasoning as the last solution, you can also try clearing your browser cache as a possible solution. Caches are data stored from your previous visits to all the websites through that browser, and while they are mainly used to improve your browsing session by providing you customized content, they can also interfere with how QuickBooks Online operates.
So, if you are accessing the program through Chrome, then go to the ‘More Options’ feature on the top-right of the window, represented by the 3 vertical dots on the page. Here, go to ‘History’ and then click on the option of ‘Clear browsing data’ on the left of the page. You can also go to the ‘history’ page by pressing Ctrl + H on your keyboard. This will take you to a new tab where you will be given the option to choose the data you wish to delete. You can choose to delete all the browsing history, cookies and caches along with how long back you wish to delete those records. While these are just the basic options, the ‘Advanced’ tab allows you to choose even more varied data, such as saved passwords and autofill form data, among others.
If clearing your cache, cookies, and browsing history does not work, then you may move on to the next solution explained below.
- Disable Your Extensions
Extensions downloaded from your Chrome Webstore often make your life easier and are highly efficient. However, much like caches and cookies, these extensions can also interfere with how you use QuickBooks, or whether you can even log in or not. So, disabling your extensions can be another solution that you can try out.
To implement this solution, go to the ‘More Options’ feature on the top-right of the window, represented by the 3 vertical dots on the page. Here, go to the ‘More Tools’ option and click on ‘Extensions’ from the resulting menu list. In the resulting page, manually turn off each extension by turning the blue lever off at the bottom right of each extension. After doing so for all the extensions, try relaunching QuickBooks Online from a new tab and check whether you can log in successfully.
If you are still unable to log in even after disabling all extensions, then you may move on to the next solution explained below.
- Update or Reinstall Your Browser
A backdated browser can also be the root cause of the issue. So, an effective solution can be to make sure that your browser is updated to the latest version. This is essential regardless of whichever browser you are using, although Google Chrome is the browser that is the most preferred, even by Intuit. To update Chrome, go to the ‘More Options’ feature on the top-right of the window, represented by the 3 vertical dots on the page. Then go to ‘Help’ and then the ‘About Google Chrome’ option. Here, you will become aware if your browser is updated, and if not, the updates will start downloading. Then, simply relaunch the browser and check if you can log in to QuickBooks Online.
If updating and restarting your browser does not work, then you may move on to the next solution explained below.
- Add QuickBooks as a Trusted Site
QuickBooks may accidentally be recognized as an unsafe site, leading to the issue. To resolve this, you need to manually add it as a trusted website. To do so, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Go to ‘Internet Options’ and then go to the ‘Security’ tab.
- Step 2: In this tab, locate the option of ‘Trusted Sites,’ click it, and then click on the option of ‘Sites’ to customize safe sites.
- Step 3: In this box, add “https://qbo.intuit.com” and “https://quickbooks.intuit.com/” as trusted sites.
- Step 4: Save these settings and then relaunch your browser, then try to go to the website to check if it works.
If adding the two websites to your list of trusted websites does not work, then you may move on to the next solution explained below.
- Flush Your DNS
Often, saved data in your DNS can also lead to this issue of being unable to log in. In such cases, you need to flush your DNS to resolve the issue. Follow these steps to do the same:
- Step 1: Close the browser you are using for QuickBooks.
- Step 2: Then, open the ‘Command Prompt’ box by right-clicking on the ‘Start’ menu icon and then clicking on the option of ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’ from the list.
- Step 3: In this box, paste this text – ipconfig /flushdns. Then click on ‘Enter’.
- Step 4: Shut down the Command Prompt window and then relaunch your browser to check if you can log in to QuickBooks Online successfully.
If even this solution does not work, then you may want to give the next solution a try, as explained below.
- Reset Your QuickBooks Password
If nothing else works, then you may want to reset your QuickBooks password, which has reportedly resolved the issue for many users facing the issue. For this, simply go to the login page, click on the ‘I forgot my user ID or Password’ option, and follow the on-screen prompts. If changing the password does not work either, then you may click on ‘I forgot my user ID or Password,’ then go to ‘Try Something Else,’ then click on ‘Talk to an expert,’ fill in the details and submit to talk to a certified QuickBooks expert.
Logging in to your QuickBooks user account is the first course of action to enable you to use the program. In this regard, these solutions should be effective in helping you resolve the issue efficiently. If it all fails, then you can talk to a QuickBooks expert as explained at the end. However, the many solutions provided should be sufficient to enable you to log in to QuickBooks Online and operate it successfully.