QuickBooks Payroll is an add-on feature that you would need to purchase when purchasing the subscription of your chosen QuickBooks product. Despite being an add-on feature, it is crucial to keep your payroll service updated at all times. This can let you get the latest tax tables and facilitate automatic and accurate paycheck calculations. However, errors in your software can lead to Payroll not being updated, which can lead to issues in the way you use the program. Here we will explore all about QuickBooks Payroll Won’t Update. By addressing the reason and errors for Payroll not updating along with solutions to resolve the error, you can learn all about updating payroll here.
Types of QuickBooks Payroll
When purchasing the QuickBooks Payroll subscription, you get the option to choose from 3 types of Payroll services. The cost of the three tends to differ as do the features and services provided in each type. While the added features are different in the three options, all the types provide you with:
- Payroll runs in less than 5 minutes.
- Automation in filing tax and submitting forms.
- Automatic tax calculations.
- Individual portals for employees.
- Pre-setting of deductions and garnishments in paychecks.
- Comprehensive payroll reports.
So, depending on factors like your workforce strength, facilities you want, and your budget for the program, you can choose from the following three types:
- Core: The basic payroll subscription allows you full-service payroll along with automated payroll, 1099 form convenience, 1-day direct deposit as well as 401(k) plans and curated health benefits suitable for your employees.
- Premium: Along with the facilities provided in the Core plan, this plan also provides you with expert review on your payroll activities as well as allow you to track employee hours in real time. You also get access to an exclusive support center facility for HR along with introducing “Workers’ comp administration” to your payroll.
- Elite: In addition to the Premium subscription features, you also get round-the-clock support as well as protection from tax penalties and a personal advisor to improve your HR. You can also set up your system with the help of an expert and track projects and employee hours in real-time.
How does QuickBooks Payroll Work
The QuickBooks Payroll feature allows you to efficiently handle all the payroll requirements of your staff in an automated manner. While setting up the system may take a little time, you can enlist the help of a Payroll expert to set it up on your behalf as well. However, after the setup has been done, the rest is incredibly easy. Whenever payday comes, you can just run the payroll, review the setup of the automated calculation at the beginning and approve it to confirm the transactions. If you have purchased the Core product, the employees would get their paychecks by the next day. However, for both Premium and Elite, same-day payroll is provided, implying an even faster payroll cycle.
Related Article: “Can’t Login To QuickBooks Online“
Reason why QuickBooks payroll won’t update
While Payroll is indeed a highly helpful feature provided by QuickBooks, automatic and timely updates are crucial to keeping all your tax calculations accurate and up to date. This is why the error of your Payroll not updating is a serious issue that you need to resolve promptly. The reason for this may be due to multiple QuickBooks errors arising from multiple reasons. So, by identifying the error code, you can identify the root cause and take the necessary steps to resolve the error.
Here are some of the most common errors that can be responsible for the QuickBooks Payroll service not updating:
|QuickBooks Error Codes||Reasons for Error|
|Error Code 12002, 12007, 12009, and 12029 among other similar codes||QuickBooks cannot connect to the internet properly.|
|Error Code 12152||Issues with your computer internet settings lead to delay in launching QuickBooks and downloading updates as well.|
|Error Code 15240||QuickBooks Payroll cannot update due to incorrect date and time in your system or Internet Explorer.|
|Error Code 15270||A missing file in your computer can be causing the issue regarding the Payroll updates.|
|Error Code 15271||An incorrect SSL or issues in the configuration of Internet Explorer can be interfering with the Payroll update.|
|Error Code 17337||Similar to Error Code 15271, an incorrect SSL or incorrect configuration of Internet Explorer can be the cause of this error.|
|Error Codes PS032, PS034, and PS077||Caused due to specific information entered by you, these error codes can interfere with your Payroll update due to an inaccurate tax table, incorrect billing and invoicing information, or payroll file, among other things.|
|Error Code PS038||This error pops up if you tried updating Payroll in an older version of QuickBooks, where some Payroll files cannot be accessed.|
How to fix QuickBooks payroll won’t update
While the error codes for the issue can be stated to be multiple and varied, there are a few solutions that can help you resolve them promptly. So, if you are facing issues regarding updating your Payroll, you can give these solutions a try.
- Verification of system’s date and time: An incorrect date and time setting in your system can be the cause for not only Payroll not updating but for multiple other errors as well. So, to change your system date and time setting, follow these steps:
- Step 1: If you have QuickBooks open on your system, then close it.
- Step 2: Go to the Control Panel by right-clicking on ‘Start’ or searching for it on your computer.
- Step 3: If your Control Panel is divided as per category, then click on ‘Clock and Region.’ If not, then click on ‘Date and Time’ and proceed to Step 5.
- Step 4: In ‘Clock and Region,’ click on ‘Set the time and date.’
- Step 5: Here, make sure that your time zone and the date and time are correct. If not, make the changes.
- Step 6: Click on ‘OK’ to complete the process.
- Step 7: Relaunch QuickBooks to proceed as usual.
- Installing a Digital Signature Certificate: Lack of credentials can also be the reason for the update not succeeding. In such cases, you can follow the below steps to add your DSC:
- Step 1: Open ‘Windows Explorer’ and go to “C: Program Files/Intuit/QuickBooks/”
- Step 2: Look for the “QBW32.exe” file and go to ‘Properties.’
- Step 3: Go to the ‘Digital Signature’ tab on the left menu and make sure that QuickBooks is included in the list.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Details,’ then on ‘View Certificate,’ and lastly on ‘Install Certificate.’
- Step 5: Follow the on-screen prompts and then click on ‘Finish’ to complete the process.
- Step 6: Close the window and then restart your computer. Then launch QuickBooks and proceed with updating your Payroll.
- Check Internet connection: A faulty internet connection may also be responsible. Follow these steps to resolve it:
- Step 1: In QuickBooks, go to ‘Help’ and click on ‘Internet Connection Setup.’
- Step 2: Click on ‘Use my computer’s internet connection settings to create a connection when this program accesses the Internet.’
- Step 3: Click ‘Next.’
- Step 4: Then click on ‘Advanced Connection Settings.’
- Step 5: Then click on ‘Restore Advanced Settings.’
- Step 6: Click ‘OK’ and then ‘Done’ to complete the process.
- Step 7: Now try updating your Payroll once again.
How to Update QuickBooks Payroll
Now that you know how to resolve the errors preventing Payroll from being updated, learn how to update your Payroll. This can be done through 2 methods, as explained below.
- Update the payroll tax table and rename folder: You can update your Payroll by updating the tax table and then renaming the folder. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Step 1: Go to ‘Employees’ in the main menu and then click on ‘Get Payroll updates.’
- Step 2: Then click on ‘Download Entire Payroll Update’ to update the tax table.
- Step 3: Now click on ‘Update.’
- Step 4: On completion of the download, a dialog box intimating you about the same will appear. Click ‘OK’ on that to complete the process.
- Step 5: If any errors persist, then you can go to “C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20xx\Components\Payroll\CPS”, where ‘xx’ is the version of your QuickBooks.
- Step 6: Then rename the “CPS” folder as “CPSOLD.”
- Step 7: Then follow steps 1-4 to attempt the update again.
- Restart computer in safe mode: You can also try updating Payroll by having your computer in the ‘Safe Mode.’ To do so, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Restart your computer and choose the ‘Safe Mode’ from the boot menu.
- Step 2: Download the Payroll update in the Safe Mode.
- Step 3: Close the application and restart the system in Normal mode.
- Step 4: Try launching your Payroll again and see whether updates have been applied successfully.
Payroll is a crucial part of managing your organization and QuickBooks provides immense efficiency in the same. And so, issues in keeping your Payroll updated can be detrimental to how to manage paychecks. So, if you are facing these issues, the above-mentioned solutions can help you resolve them properly. However, if you still face issues, you can get expert support from us or QuickBooks to help you resolve the same.