A barcode (also known as a bar code) is a visual, machine-readable representation of data; the data usually describes something about the object that the barcode is attached to. In order to gather and identify inventory data, barcodes are commonly utilised.
In QuickBooks, how do I enable barcode scanning?
To enable the barcode, you need to follow the steps that are as follows:
- Select Company Settings from the Gear icon.
- Select the Barcode Scanning checkbox in the Products and services section under the Sales tab on the left navigation panel.
- After that, click Save and then Done.
How to add a barcode to a product
Please see this article for further information on how to create an inventory item. To add a barcode to an item, go to the Product/Service information dialogue for that item and do the following.
- Click New or Edit against an existing item in the Products and Services list.
- Scroll down to the Barcode field.
- Scan the barcode on the item by clicking on this form.
- This will populate the Barcode field with a numeric barcode value.
- At the bottom, click Save and Close.
What is the best way to use a barcoded item in invoices/bills?
The best way to use a barcode item in invoices or bills are as follows:
- Select + New.
- Choose Invoice/Bill from the drop-down menu (or any other sales or purchase form).
- The cursor should be in the Product/Service column.
- Scan the product using the barcode.
- For the selected product, the item details will be auto-filled. (Please keep in mind that the quantity may need to be adjusted as required.) Scanning a product many times does not affect the amount. It will instead create a new line item.)
- If you need to add more items, repeat steps 3 and 4.
- The transaction will be saved.
Compatibility with hardware
Barcode scanners that are USB-based or Bluetooth-based can be used.
A barcode scanner that mimics a keyboard input event is compatible. i.e., even if the document is in Word or Notepad, the barcode will be entered as a numeric value.
Points to consider
- Only Inventory items can have a barcode.
- At this time, QR codes are not supported.
- As of now, barcodes are not included in the Import of Products and Services list.
- A single barcode can only be used for one item at a time. This error notice will appear if a barcode already exists in the system: ‘Looks like this barcode already exists. ‘Experiment with different barcodes.’
- Do not scan the same item twice on a sales/purchase form. Increase the quantity in the QTY field instead. Scanning the same thing twice will result in the barcode being populated next to the product name, prompting a new product.
- The Products and Services list includes a section for barcodes.
- Scanning a barcode for a new product that does not exist in the Products and Services list on a sales/purchase form will provide an opportunity to create a new product. The barcode, on the other hand, will be recognised as a name rather than a barcode.
- Reports do not yet support barcodes.
How to set up your USB barcode scanner
To set up your USB barcode scanner, you need to follow the steps that are as follows:
- After you’ve plugged in your scanner, you can begin configuring it.
- Select Preferences from the Edit menu in QuickBooks Desktop.
- After that, go to the Company Preferences page and select Items and Inventory.
- Select Barcodes from the Barcodes tab in Advanced Inventory Settings.
- After that, choose Enable Barcode and then Open Barcode Wizard.
- Select which item field you wish to utilise for barcode tracking in the Barcode Scanning Setup wizard. Choose a field that will be unique for each item, such as the Item Name or Part Number, if you’re unsure. Then choose Next.
- Choose the types of objects for which barcodes should be generated. Next, then Finish is the options.
How can you check your scanner?
To check your scanner, you need to follow the steps that are as follows:
- The Barcode Scanner Tester is a programme that determines whether QuickBooks Desktop will identify your USB scanner.
- Run the Barcode Scanner Tester after downloading it. Before going to other windows, make sure you stay in the app and finish it.
- In the first empty text field, type the sentence shown in the tester.
- Select the second text field, then scan any barcode with your scanner. It doesn’t have to be a QuickBooks barcode.
- The test is the option to choose. Select Next if the app identifies your scanner.
- There will be a new text box emerge. Choose it and scan any barcode with it.
- The test is the option to choose. A success message will appear if your scanner is QuickBooks compatible.
To conclude, the reason behind the immense success of QuickBooks Desktop software is that they keep updating the software with different features and other security updates. In this blog, you will learn about barcode scanning in QuickBooks Desktop software and the other aspects related to the same, so please read the whole blog very carefully. I hope that this blog helped you and was worth your time.