When you enter your QuickBooks company file and press the F2 key, a screen will appear that shows the list totals for each form it monitors. The QuickBooks Pro and Premier models can handle up to 14,500 list pieces. QuickBooks Enterprise can handle up to 100,000 transactions and more. It’s important to understand that QuickBooks has a cap on how many clients, suppliers, inventory products, and related data it can store.
While many companies will never reach these thresholds, others should keep a close eye on their QuickBooks use and prepare for an upgrade. Here’s a short rundown of some of the most popular list restrictions.
Models of QuickBooks “Pro” and “Premier”:
- Names of Customers, Vendors, Employees, and Others: 14,500 is the upper limit. This is a cumulative limit, meaning that the total number of items on Any of these lists cannot exceed
- The following are the items on the item list: 14,500 is the upper limit. This includes inventory objects, non-inventory items, inventory assemblies, and so on.
- Price ranges: 100 is the upper limit.
- Limit = 10,000 in the chart of accounts
Version “Enterprise” of QuickBooks:
- Names of Customers, Vendors, Employees, and Others: > 100,000* is the upper limit. As previously mentioned, this is a combined limit.
- The following are the items on the item list: > 100,000* is the upper limit. This includes inventory objects, non-inventory items, inventory assemblies, and so on.
- Price ranges: 100 is the upper limit.
- Accounts ledger: 10,000 is the upper limit.
According to QuickBooks Enterprise, you can create up to 1 million listings in these categories. They also mention that as you reach the upper limit, some output loss is possible. Based on my clients’ experience using incredibly comprehensive lists like these, I intend to capping your customers and item lists in the Enterprise version at 100,000. (I’m not convinced they have any clients with QuickBooks files with list sizes approaching 1 million entries.)
There are no alerts in QuickBooks (that I’m aware of) that you’re reaching the list limits listed above. You’ll try to add another customer (or inventory item) one day, and QuickBooks will tell you, “Sorry, we can’t help you.” That’s not how you want to start your day. If You’ve Reached Your Limit, You Have a Few Options that are as follows:
Delete: If you have objects, clients, or other items on your list with no activity associated with them, you can delete them to free up some room. However, you cannot remove an object if it is associated with operation. Making it disabled has no impact on the amount of space available in your list for new entries.
Clean Up Company Data: Using this QuickBooks feature, you can be able to free up some room on your lists. You can run this tool from the File > Utilities menu to see how much extra list capability it provides. Remember that there are some possible drawbacks of using this method (you’re archiving some of your accounting records from your key QuickBooks data file), so proceed with caution.
Upgrade to QuickBooks Enterprise: If you’re currently using QuickBooks Pro or Premier, upgrading to Enterprise is a natural (and painless) way to expand your list capability. Indeed, one of the reasons Enterprise was developed was to provide a cost-effective and straightforward solution for rising companies.
Move to a QuickBooks add-on: If you’re still using QuickBooks Enterprise and need more power, there’s good news: you can upgrade to a QuickBooks add-on. You can fix the list limits with a QuickBooks add-on like Acctivate or FishBowl Inventory while keeping QuickBooks for your core accounting functions.
How many customers can you have in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks will show the number of customers in your company register.
- From the left menu, choose Sales.
- Choose Customers from the drop-down menu at the end.
- Select the Gear icon above the Action column, then the Rows drop-down to adjust the number of rows displayed on display.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Customers screen to see the total number of customers.
Please note that if your QuickBooks company file has more customers than what appears on the first page, click Last, and the full customer count will appear on that page.
You can export your Customer Contact List to Excel if you want a custom report for mailing lists or a list of all of their information.
- From the left menu, choose Reports.
- Choose the Customer Contact List report from the drop-down menu.
- (This is optional.) Pick Customize at the top of the report to make it your own.
- Choose between sending an email, printing a document, or exporting a file.
- Pick Export to Excel if you’re exporting.
After you’ve exported the file to Excel, you can sort the data using various parameters (i.e., address, currency, open balance amounts, etc.).
To summarise, QuickBooks Desktop software is like any other accounting software that will help you manage the accounts or finances of a particular organisation. The software allows you to customise many things in your bills, and in this specific blog, you will get to know more about how many customers you can have in QuickBooks Desktop software. I hope this was worth a read.