In QuickBooks Desktop, you’ll need to install QuickBooks Database Server Manager. QuickBooks Database Server Manager allows you to sync your company files through your network with other computers. It also aids in the management of your multi-user network. QuickBooks Database Server Manager must be running when you set up a network so that users can access your company files.
To run multi-user access, you’ll need a Database Server Manager. Multiple users can work on the same company file at the same time with this feature. You don’t need the Database Server Manager if you don’t intend to use multi-user access.
Step 1: Get Database Server Manager.
The QuickBooks Desktop file includes Database Server Manager.
Download QuickBooks Desktop if you haven’t already.
Step 2: Download and install Database Server Manager.
Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your server. This is the computer on which your company’s files are stored.
Please note that if you’re an accountant or host multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop on your network, make sure to install them in the correct order. Install the most recent version first, followed by the oldest.
- Close any software that is running on your server computer, including QuickBooks.
- Open the installation file that you downloaded. Setup QuickBooks.exe is the file name.
- Follow the instructions on the screen. Here’s how to find your product or licence numbers if you need them.
- When QuickBooks prompts you to select an install type, choose Custom or Network Options. Then click Next. Don’t go with Express.
- Select the best option for your network configuration and then click Next. Both options include the installation of the Database Server Manager. If you already have QuickBooks Desktop installed on your server computer, this will not overwrite any existing company data.
- Select I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, and I’ll be storing. If you want Database Server Manager and QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer. This is the option we strongly recommend.
- Select I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop only to want Database Server Manager on your server computer.
- Follow the rest of the onscreen prompts. When you’re finished, click Install. Windows may request your permission.
Please note that QuickBooks creates a new Windows user for each version of Database Server Manager. Data Server Manager 2019 appears as QBDataServiceUser29, for example.
Allow these users to access the folders containing your company’s files. When you set system-level permissions, you may see these users.
Configure Database Server Manager
You can skip this section and proceed to Step 3 if you want to use the default settings.
- Navigate to the Windows Start menu.
- Open Services by typing “Services” into the search bar.
- QuickBooksDBXX should be selected and opened (XX is the version number).
- Navigate to the General tab and look for the Service status section. If it’s already started or running, choose Stop.
- Select Automatic from the Startup type dropdown menu.
- Navigate to the Logon tab. Choose the Local System account.
- Navigate to the Recovery tab. Select Restart the Service from the dropdown menus for the first, second, and subsequent failures.
- Return to the General tab. To restart Database Server Manager, click Start.
Step 3: Configure your firewall permissions.
Check your firewall and antivirus permissions if you haven’t already. Make sure that the Database Server Manager has permission to run on your server computer.
Step 4: Reinstall Database Server Manager.
There is no need for you to do this yourself. When you update QuickBooks Desktop, the Database Server Manager automatically updates.
Steps to update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Please follow the steps articulated below:
- Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release by downloading the patch.
- Please keep in mind that the patch for the server is the same as the patch for the workstation.
- After the patch installation is complete, restart the server. (This is highly recommended.)
- After the server has been updated, you may receive the following message on the workstation: To work with this version of QuickBooks Desktop, the company file must be updated.
- There will be a prompt to create a backup, which is required because these updates can change the structure of the database.
- Follow the prompts, and you should be able to open the file once the backup is complete.
In conclusion, QuickBooks Desktop software is accounting software that helps you manage the finances of a particular organisation. But this blog is about the QuickBooks Database Server Manager, and you will read about the latest version and the steps to update the same. I hope that this blog helped you in some way or the other and was worth your time.