The QuickBooks Desktop software got released in 1983 and since then it has always been on the top when it comes to accounting software. The software covered 85% of the US market share till now and is useful for almost every kind of business. The software was first called Quicken and then it got changed to QuickBooks. The software had some security issue in the beginning but now it is almost close to perfect the only backdrop that the software has is that it is prone to errors. There are a lot of errors in QuickBooks Desktop software and QuickBooks Error PS058 is one such error.
What is QuickBooks Error PS058
Like the name suggests that this error is an error related to the QuickBooks payroll, the error mainly occurs when you try to download one of the updates. The software gets affected by the errors and issues but it is one of the most common errors that you ever going to come across in QuickBooks Desktop software. Apart from the unrecoverable errors, all the other errors can be fixed by using different tools and solutions which is what we are going to detail in this blog so make sure that you read this whole blog and help yourself if you are facing the same issue.
To know more about any error or issue you must understand what are the primary reasons behind the occurrence of that particular error so that you know what you exactly need to do to avoid that error in future. The next section will help you to know more about the root causes of QuickBooks Error PS058 so please read that attentively.
The Root Cause of QuickBooks Error PS058
The primary reasons help you to understand the exact problem behind the occurrence of a particular error and it can also be described as the root causes and knowing root causes help you to diagnose it better. The root causes of QuickBooks Error PS058 are as follows:
- Windows Explorer files are corrupt: Corrupt or damaged windows explorer files can be one of the reasons behind the QuickBooks Error PS058, it can be fixed by updating your window and also by modifying your display settings. So please make sure that your Windows have been updated regularly so that you don’t face such small issues.
- Company files are damaged/ corrupt: Damaged or corrupted files are one of the major symptoms that may suggest that you are facing a particular error in this case QuickBooks Error PS058. This issue can lead you to a lot of different errors so you must keep an eye on your company files so that you don’t have to face these kinds of issues.
- Local drive doesn’t have your company file: Not having your company file in your local drive can be one of the reasons and if that’s the case with you as well you can try renaming the .TLG and .ND files and that may help you to fix this error.
These are the three root causes that can be one of the reasons behind the QuickBooks Error PS058 and if in case you are having the same issues you can try some of the solutions provided in the next section of this blog do give that a read.
How To Solve QuickBooks Error PS058
It is not a hidden thing that the QuickBooks Desktop software gets affected by numerous errors and issues, but you also need to understand that any computer accounting software is bound to be prone to errors and issues and so does QuickBooks Desktop software. But all these errors can easily be taken care of by using some of the solutions or tools that comes straight from the house of Intuit. A few of the solutions that may help you to resolve the QuickBooks Error PS058 are given below:
- Method 1: Download Payroll Update again: After downloading a payroll update, do you get a code PS038 with an outdated date? If that’s the case, we’ll go through several procedures before trying to download the update again. Here’s how to do it:
- Select My Payroll Service from the Payroll menu.
- Select Send Usage Data or Send Payroll Data from the drop-down menus.
- If the transmit goes OK, try again to obtain payroll updates.
These are the steps that will help you to download the payroll update again and that could help you to resolve this error and if in case you are still not able to do that you may try the next method.
- Method 2: Download the latest upgrade: To download the latest upgrade that will help you to resolve this error you can follow the steps that are given below:
- You must check the QuickBooks update and you must know the running version of your QuickBooks Desktop software and then look for the available update.
- If you’re not sure what version of QuickBooks you have, start the program and click the F2 key on your computer. Then look at the product line in the product information box.
- Intuit’s website has the newest QuickBooks updates as well as the version of QuickBooks.
Following these steps will help you to download the latest upgrade and that may help you to resolve this error. You can also try the next method that can help you to fix this error.
- Method 3: Download the latest software update online: Downloading the latest software update online can also help you to get rid of this error to download it you need to follow the steps are given below:
- You will need excellent internet access to complete this step.
- Download the qbwebpatch.exe patch file from the QuickBooks website’s help page.
- Save the downloaded file to the QuickBooks-equipped PC.
- You must complete the patch file of the installation before you try to update the tax file which is in your CD/Flash Drive.
These are the steps that will help you to update the latest software online that may eventually help you to QuickBooks Error PS058 and in this case, if this error still irritates you then you can try the next solution.
- Method 4: Check if there are any errors in the company file: As already mentioned in the root causes section errors in company files can lead you to a lot of other errors as well as QuickBooks Error PS058 and to check them you must follow the steps that are given below:
- Press the Ctrl+1 or F2 keys on the keyboard to access Product details in QuickBooks.
- Ctrl+2 or F3 keys on the product info window.
- Click Open File in the Tech Help box.
- Double-click on the file qbwin.log to open it.
- Open the search box by pressing the Ctrl + F keys together.
- In the box, type Error and hit the Enter key.
- Examine the error code you’ve received and take the necessary measures to resolve it.
- Continue to the next step if you notice no error.
These are the steps that will help you to check whether your company file is damaged or no and if this also doesn’t help you then you must try the next solution so please do check that out.
- Method 5: Use RegCure and follow the provided steps: Using the RegCure and following the provided steps may help you to resolve this error and to do that you need to follow the steps that are given below:
- Using the ctrl+alt+del keys, open Task Manager. In the program list, look for qbupdate.exe and qbdagent.exe.
- Close them if you locate them.
- Now, in the research window, enter reboot.bat.
- When you double-click the file, a DOS-style shell will appear.
- Allow time for it to shut on its own.
- Restart your computer and get the latest payroll information.
These steps will help you to use the RegCure and it will help you to resolve the QuickBooks Error PS058 and if in case this method also doesn’t work then you must try the next method.
- Method 6: Run reboot.bat file: Running the reboot.bat file can help you to resolve the QuickBooks Error PS058 and you can follow the steps that are given below:
- To begin, use the ctrl+alt+del keys to launch the task manager.
- After that, go to the Processes tab and look for QuickBooks and associated processes.
- Now, one by one, turn off all of the programs.
- On the keyboard or the screen, press the start button and type reboot into the search area.
- Enter the key.
- Run the file and wait for it to complete.
- When the procedure is finished, close it.
- Try restarting your computer and downloading the most recent payroll tax.
These are some of the methods that may help you to fix the QuickBooks Error PS058, there might be a possibility that you still may not be able to fix the error in that case you can try running a scan from the QuickBooks Tool Hub and QuickBooks File Doctor, both of these tools come straight from the house of Intuit and that may help you to fix such a small error. You can download these tools for free on the official website of Intuit and if in case you are still not able to fix it then you must hire a professional cause if you ignore these kinds of small errors then it may lead you to QuickBooks Won’t Open and then it may become a big problem for you to resolve that error so please make sure that every error that you face you must fix those error.
Finally, QuickBooks Desktop software can help you to manage the finances of your organisation and it is one of the complete accounting solutions that also take care of paying the taxes on time and also the payroll services but like it has been mentioned in this blog time and again that the error is prone to different errors and issues and QuickBooks Error PS058 is one of them.
This whole blog is specially created to help you understand that how can you fix the QuickBooks Error PS058, this error is one very small error and it can be easily fixed by using some of the manual solutions given above so make sure you read and apply them if you are facing the same issue and help yourself resolving the error. I hope that this blog proves to be helpful and was worthy of the time that you’ve spent while reading it.