QuickBooks has become one of the most sought-after and efficient methods of handling business operations and accounts online. And this is a subscription-based service, implying that you need to keep renewing it after certain periods to keep using the system. However, even when your subscription is active, you may see an error message that states, “Your QuickBooks subscription lapse!” While you may become a bit concerned after seeing this error message, let us assure you first and foremost that this is nothing to be greatly worried about. There are many ways in which you can resolve the error. Keep reading to know more about these ways!
QuickBooks Desktop Subscription Plan
QuickBooks is a subscription-based program and you get to choose the subscription rate as per your requirements. There are four subscription programs, namely ‘Simple Start,’ ‘Essentials,’ ‘Plus,’ and ‘Advanced.’
- Simple Start: This plan is for the most basic businesses and only for 1 user and allows you access to only the most basic features.
- Essentials: Essentials is the next tier of features available with your QuickBooks subscription, including greater benefits like tracking time and managing and paying bills.
- Plus: Plus contains even better features, including tracking project profitability along with inventory status.
- Advanced: In the latest subscription of QuickBooks, the Advanced subscription is the only one where you get new features. Going a step ahead from Plus, this plan allows you to also manage employee expenses and app integrations along with getting better business analytics and insights and automating tasks and operations.
How To Verify Your Subscription Before Installing QuickBooks Desktop
One of the most common reasons for the error is that your subscription is actually not valid. So, verifying your subscription before installing your QuickBooks on your system can be beneficial. In such cases, the verification can be carried out in six ways, as explained below.
- Reset Internet Explorer settings: Resetting your IE settings can be helpful if there are some certificates or settings that are hindering your QuickBooks from operating properly. In this case, take the following steps to reset IE settings:
- Step 1: Launch Internet Explorer.
- Step 2: Go to the ‘Internet Options’ dialog box by clicking on the ‘Tools’ menu.
- Step 3: Go down to the ‘Advanced’ tab in this section and then click on the ‘Reset’ or ‘Restore Defaults option.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Apply’ and then click again on ‘OK’ to complete the process.
- Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool from the Tool Hub: The Tool Hub is an efficient feature of the QuickBooks program that allows you to get access to many add-on tools and features. One such tool that can be beneficial in verifying your subscription is the ‘QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.’ Here is how you can download the tool:
- Step 1: Shut down QuickBooks.
- Step 2: Make sure that you are downloading the latest version of the ‘QuickBooks Tool Hub.’ “Here” is where you can download the program from.
- Step 3: Run the installation file from its saved location.
- Step 4: Follow all the steps provided on the screen to install the program successfully, agreeing to the T&C accordingly.
- Step 5: Launch the program once the installation is complete to begin the next step.
Once you have installed the Tool Hub successfully, you can move on to using this Tool Hub to verify your subscription using these steps:
- Step 1: Launch your QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Step 2: In the application, click on the option of ‘Installation Issues’.
- Step 3: In this option, click on ‘QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool’.
- Step 4: After the tool completes the diagnosis, click on ‘OK’ to complete the process.
- Step 5: Launch QuickBooks Desktop and open the company or data file to confirm that it is opening normally.
Manually disable the firewall and/or antivirus software
The firewall acting up and blocking various components can also help you ensure that all the systems and settings are in place to make the program operate properly and successfully. Here is how you can do it:
- Step 1: First of all, start the process by disabling your existing firewall.
- Step 2: Follow this by disabling your existing antivirus application as well. For doing this:
- Look for the icon of your antivirus application in the application try on the toolbar on your Desktop screen.
- Right-click on the located program icon and click on ‘Disable’ to disable the application.
- Step 3: Re-install your QuickBooks program or run the program updates once again.
Create a new Windows Admin user
Often, the program only works effectively in Windows Users accounts that have Administrator rights. In such cases, creating a new user persona with admin rights can help you verify your subscription effectively. To create a new user with admin rights effectively, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Add a user with admin rights:
- Go to the Windows ‘Start’ option and click on ‘All Programs’.
- Access the ‘Windows Small Business Server’ function and then go to the option of ‘Windows SBS Console’.
- Go to the option of ‘User and Groups’ and then to the ‘Add a new user account’ tab.
- Fill in all relevant information for the new user and then follow the prompts according to the ‘Add a New User Account’ wizard.
- Grant all admin rights to this new user account.
- Click on ‘Finish’ to complete the process.
- Step 2: Grant admin access to the QuickBooks application:
- Open ‘Control Panel’ from the ‘Start’ menu and then click on ‘User Accounts’.
- Search for the program ‘QBDataServiceUserXX’ relevant to your version of QuickBooks. The “XX” corresponds to your version. For example, for the 2020 version, the program will be named ‘QBDataServiceUser30’ while it will be named ‘QBDataServiceUser29’ for the 2019 version.
- Click on the option of ‘Change the account type’ and then choose ‘Administrator’ and complete by clicking ‘Change Account Type’.
- Click on ‘Apply’ to complete the process and repeat the process for all versions of ‘QuickBooks Database Server Manager’ in your system.
- Step 3: Re-install your version of QuickBooks Desktop or run the available updates once again.
Install QuickBooks Desktop in Selective Startup
- Step 1: Prepare your data for this special install method by backing up the company file and keeping your product information and license info handy.
- Step 2: Restart your computer in the ‘Selective startup’ mode.
- Step 3: Re-install your QuickBooks Desktop in this mode.
- Step 4: Then switch back to the ‘Normal’ startup configurations and restart the system as normal.
Keeping the certificates in your Google Chrome up-to-date is crucial to keep your program running smoothly. Here is how you can do it:
- Step 1: Open the link https://intuit.com.
- Step 2: In the address bar of the browser, click on the padlock symbol in front of the address.
- Step 3: Click on ‘View Certificates’.
- Step 4: In the option of ‘Certification Path,’ choose ‘Symantec Class 3 Secure Server CA – G4’.
- Step 5: Click on ‘View Certificate’ and then on ‘Install Certificate’.
- Step 6: This will take you to the ‘Certificate Import’ wizard, and you can follow the screen prompts with the default options to download the certificate.
- Step 7: After the import succeeds, click on ‘OK’.
- Step 8: Close this window and then try installing or updating your QuickBooks Desktop again.
What to do when you get the “Your QuickBooks subscription lapse” message
While the above steps let you know how to verify the validity of your subscription, you may still face the error and you need to know what to do after you see the error. In such cases, follow these steps:
- Update your billing info
- Step 1: Log in to the Customer Account Management Portal (CAMPs) with admin rights.
- Step 2: Click on “QuickBooks Desktop” from the products and services displayed.
- Step 3: Click on ‘Details’ beside the product.
- Step 4: Click on ‘Edit’ beside the option of ‘Payment Method.’ Update your info and click on ‘Save and Close’ when you are done editing all info.
- Step 5: Launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Step 6: Access the ‘Help’ option, hover your mouse on ‘Manage My License,’ and click on ‘Sync License Data Online.’
- Install QuickBooks Updates: Often the error appears due to an outdated program version. So, downloading and applying the latest QuickBooks updates can often help resolve the issue.
- Run a test through QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool: The ‘QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool’ is an excellent tool that can help you resolve this issue, along with many others. So, just follow the steps as explained above in the previous section to resolve the error using this tool.
- Restore License file of QuickBooks: Restoring your license file can refresh your subscription validity if you face this issue. So, do it by following these steps:
- Step 1: Keep your QuickBooks license info and product key handy.
- Step 2: Press Windows + R on your Keyboard.
- Step 3: Enter “C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8” into the box and click on ‘Enter.’ Alternatively, you can also enter “C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6” into the box instead.
- Step 4: Locate for the file named “EntitlementDataStore.ecml,” right-click on it and click ‘Delete.’ Click ‘Yes’ to confirm and complete the action.
- Step 5: Launch QuickBooks and then your company file and then follow the instructions given to register again with your existing license info and product key.
- Assess your internet settings: Often the issue also occurs due to faulty internet settings. So, you can also check your internet settings as a solution to resolve the issue at hand and make sure that QuickBooks is getting access to the internet properly.
The error of an invalid subscription can severely affect how you are using the program. So, while there may be many reasons for seeing the error message, you can apply these solutions to deal with them effectively.