QuickBooks Desktop software is accounting software that helps you manage a particular organization’s books and accounts. The software has been leading since its launch, and the reason behind its success is the kind of functions and features it has. Talking about the different functions, you can also use your QuickBooks Desktop software on multiple computers simultaneously.
You can use multiple computers simultaneously. You can have one computer as your master server computer, and the other can work as the workstations. In this blog, you will learn more about how you can use QuickBooks Desktop software on multiple computer setups, so please read the whole blog very attentively.
Suppose you want to use QuickBooks on multiple computers simultaneously. In that case, you can do that by setting up a multi-user network so that the other computers can also access the company files from the connected workstations. To set it up, you need to follow the steps that are given below:
Set up QuickBooks Desktop
To setup QuickBooks Desktop, you firstly need to install the QuickBooks Desktop software on a server computer, and for that, you simply need to follow the steps that are given below:
- Like already mentioned, you need to Install QuickBooks Desktop on your server PC.
- For the install type, choose Custom or Network.
- If you want the complete version of QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer, choose I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, and I’ll be storing. Select I will NOT be utilising QuickBooks Desktop on this computer… if you just want your server PC to host your data.
- To complete the installation, follow the on-screen prompts.
Please note that keeping your company files on the server PC will help you share them in the other workstations and be more convenient for you.
These are steps that will help you install the QuickBooks Desktop on your server PC, and then you need to set folder permissions given in our next segment, so please do follow that as well.
Restrict access to a folder
You need to access the folders in the multi-user mode, and for that, you need to have the correct windows permissions. To set the correct folder permissions, you need to follow the steps that are given below:
- Open File Explorer from the Windows Start menu.
- Right-click the folder containing the company file and choose Properties. After that, go to Properties.
- Select Advanced from the Security tab.
- Select QBDataServiceUserXX from the drop-down menu and select Edit.
- You need to set the following options to “Allowed”:
- Traverse Folder/Execute File
- List Folder/Read Data
- Read Attributes
- Read Extended Attributes
- Create Files/Write Data
- Create Folders/Append Data
- Write Attributes
- Write Extended Attributes
- Read Permissions
- List Folder/Read Data
Following these steps will help you to set the permission, and if in case that the permissions are not set correctly, then you must follow the steps that are given below:
- Select Properties from the context menu of the folder containing the company file.
- Tap on the Edit option, and then you need to select the Security option.
- Select Full Control, then Allow for QBDataServiceUserXX.
- Finally, you need to tap on OK and then on Apply.
These steps will help you et the correct folder permissions to setup the multi-user setup in QuickBooks Desktop software. After setting it up, you need to move on to the next step.
Database Server Manager should be installed
when you install the QuickBooks Desktop software, the Database Server Manager comes along. If in case you have previously downloaded the software and you separately want to install the Database server manager, then you need to follow the steps that are given below:
- Close any open applications, including QuickBooks, on your server PC.
- Open the downloaded installation file. Setup QuickBooks.exe is the name of the program.
- Follow the directions on the screen. Here’s how to locate your product or license numbers if you need them.
- Select Custom or Network Options when QuickBooks asks you to pick an install type. Then choose Next. Selecting Express is not a good idea.
- Select the best choice for your network configuration and then Next. The Database Server Manager is installed with both options. This will not erase any current company data if QuickBooks Desktop is already installed on your server PC.
- Select I’ll be utilising QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing… if you want Database Server Manager and QuickBooks Desktop on your server machine. This is a highly recommended choice.
- Select I will NOT be utilising QuickBooks Desktop… if you just want Database Server Manager on your server PC.
- Follow the on-screen directions for the remainder of the process. Select Install when you’re ready. You may be asked for permission by Windows.
These are the steps that will help you to install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager, and now that you have it downloaded to your PC, you must move on to the other step you must move on to the next step:
Configure administrative rights
You need to assign admin rights to work on the server computer without hassle. When you want to share any data to the workstations, you have the full authority to set the admin rights, and to do that, you need to follow the steps that are given below:
- Open the Start menu in Windows.
- All Programs should be selected. Select Windows SBS Console after opening Windows Small Business Server.
- Users and Groups may be chosen. Then go to the tab Add a new user account.
- Fill up the user information, then follow the process to create a new user account.
- Assign administrator privileges to the new user.
- Select Finish when you’re finished.
These steps will help you set the admin rights, which will benefit you in the long run.
Quickbooks Database Server Manager can be used to run a
After setting the rights, you must run a scan from QuickBooks Database Server Manager, and for that, you need to apply the steps that are as follows:
- Open the Windows Start menu on your server PC.
- After that, you need to Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager by typing “database” into the search box.
- Select the Scan Folders option from the drop-down menu.
- Tap on the given Browse option, and then you need to choose the folders that contain your company’s files.
- Finally, When you’re done, tap on OK.
These are the steps that will help you run a scan from QuickBooks Database Server Manager, and after scanning, you need to turn on the hosting detailed in our next segment, so please read it carefully.
Turn on the hosting feature.
Now, you need to just turn on the hosting so that your server PC allows other PC’s to work as the workstations, and to do that, you need to turn on that feature by following the steps that are as follows:
- You need to open the QuickBooks Desktop software, and then you need to tap on the File menu and then go to the Utilities option.
- Now you need to tap on the Host Multi-User Access, and then you need to tap on Yes to confirm.
These steps will help you turn on the Hosting to allow you to access the company file. Applying all these methods and following all the steps will help you set up multiple computers simultaneously.
In conclusion, QuickBooks Desktop software is accounting software that can help you manage the books and accountants, and it can also be used on a multi-user setup. This blog will help you to setup QuickBooks on multiple computers at the same time. I hope that this blog proves to be helpful and was worth your time.