For those unknown, Quickbooks is a full sized accounting software developed by Intuit that has the potential to meet all the accounting & related requirements for an organization. However, it is mainly focused towards small to mid-sized businesses offering services such as taxation, e-fillings, accounting, payroll and many more for a business including cloud-based versions.
However, there have been rising concerns about the problems regarding data backups and prevention against loss of company files & data in the online cloud-based software application. Hence, it is always safe to create backups of company files on a regular basis, to ensure that no data loss occurs in between the work process which could stop your flow of work and irritate your clients at the same time.
Talking of backups, there are two types of backups in Quickbooks application namely-Automatic Backup & Scheduled backup. Thus, if you are using Quickbooks app for your accounting needs, you should use either of these for saving data files on a periodical basis either on a daily or on a monthly basis and at the end of every month keep a backup off site and keep saving the same till the end of the year.
Why we need Scheduling Backup in QuickBooks?
Information is integral part for any business especially accounting data for any organization in fact one of the most important belongings for the businesses. And the mannerisms of storing data can really be a turning point for an efficiently managed business including the ease of access, its application & security.
It is obvious that being a part of the business there is much more than just putting up and storing data on your system. In many cases, the information that you have as part of your business is integral for the working of your organization and could cause serious risks due to its loss or damages. You may be required to get businesses, meet clients, and need to meet their requirements, predicting expenses & revenues and many more.
However, imagine the level of wearisomeness you may feel if you find one day that all your business details and information stored on the Quickbooks application is gone and you are unable to find the same on your computer too!. Further, asking to your client about the same set of information may irritate your client and double your work too.
Therefore, the Quickbooks app comes with options like backup options either online or creating a local backup file with further options such as Backup reminders, configuring every floppy disk during backup individually, authenticating data integrity, scheduling periodical backups.
For saving yourself from this unnecessary hassle, you can try a scheduled back –up feature under the Quickbooks application that will allow you more freedom, take control of your data and even set reminders to remind you to monitor backups.
So that if you happen to lose your accounting and related data, you would have some solution for data recovery. For scheduling backups, you need to-
- Select Back-up from the menu file. Click the Schedule Backup tab.
- Move & select “New Button”.
- Choose from multiple options such as number of days, periodicity and timing under the Backup window.
- Click “OK”
Now, you have new scheduled back-up on your system.
Why is “Quickbooks scheduled backup” not working?
Though Quickbooks scheduled backup comes with a whole lot of benefits like data backup reminders , more freedom and control of your data etc. there may be times where the scheduled backup stops working and you find that all your previous files are lost, there may be certain reasons which may be either one or more of the following-
- Setting up a wrong backup path- If you have unknowingly chosen a wrong backup path for the Quickbooks data backup, there are chances that the files have been either frozen or leading to display backup failed error.
- Damages in the External Hard disk-Most of the times, it is the external hard disk or storage device that is the root cause of the problem. If you’re external storage device is damaged or lacking in any way, it could have direct impact on the system failure towards scheduled backup.
- Issues in the Quickbooks company file- Quickbooks scheduled backup may also stop working if there are data issues in your business data files causing compatibility issues and consequently showing data backup errors. If you feel that may be the case, the primary solution is to download and use Quickbooks Rebuild and Verify Utility tool that can help you to repair the damaged files and schedule backups.
- Lengthy File Name- Try to imagine the problematic situation where you bury files within one sub-directory from one to another within a directory that’s not in the main drive! It is exactly the same situation when you attempt to store the backup file with such large and sophisticated names, which feel like “lost in space” already. Thus, if you are trying to save your backup file which is larger than 3 GIG in size, probably this is the one creating trouble for you. It is always advisable to use smaller and considerable file names for proper functioning of the Scheduled backup.
- Lack of system permissions- It is obvious that any application or related function would stop working, if there is lack of system permissions causing it to shuttle off into any external drive or flash drive, or into a directory where the Quickbooks has not received any windows access.
- Username & Password issues- If none of the above reasons are creating trouble for your scheduled backup application, this may be the one and needs to be checked. If you’re scheduled backup username & password do lack configuration or are improper in their form, then you need to look for these. Not only the username & password created for Quickbooks application, but also the system username & password for the system. Thus, it is recommended to choose a qualified username and password for your system as well as for the Quickbooks application.
What can I do to fix the ”QuickBooks scheduled backup not working“ Problem?
Create a back-up file manually-The first & foremost solution to the problem is always keep a second backup for all your data files by saving them manually on your system. Though, you may feel it burdensome to double save your files every time you create any file, but it will save you from file damage risks in case any of it happens. For manually saving your file-
- Log on to the QuickBooks Online Advanced company you intend to create backup as an admin.
- Click on to the Settings option and select “Back up” option.
- Pick Backup from the menu and further New Manual Backup.
- Select the company you intend to back up manually
- From the dropdown options, pick any of the options out of Incremental, Full, or Complete where incremental option allows save changes since your last backup, full saves all your financial data and complete helps saving whole data including whole company data.
- After picking one of the option, click request backup.
Automatically Back Up File
If you feel saving data manually could be burdensome for you, then the “Online backup & restore app” feature could be an ideal option for you, which could be accessed by downloading the same from QuickBooks Advanced company. Automatic back-up will allow you to automatically save your data once you create data files on your system. Follow these steps for automatic back-up-
• Log on to the QuickBooks Online Advanced company you intend to create backup as an admin.
• Click on to the Settings option and select “Back up” option.
- Select “Add a Company” option from the menu and select the company you want to connect for automatic backup.
- On successfully connecting your company on the Quickbooks software, click “Enable backup”.
Enabling automatic backup will mean that whenever you will add your company file, your data will get backed-up automatically on making new alterations including scheduled back-ups.
Backup of company file into an external drive
If you intend to keep an another backup file, you have the option to save your data files in the external storage device in your system such as in the hard disk or floppy which will enable you to have another copy of your company data files if you lose any one of them or your system gets damaged or in the event your company files get damaged.
To store company back up file into an external device, follow the below-mentioned steps-
- If the company file/s you want to back up data files in the external storage device, then as the first step move your files to such intended external device such as an USB or a hosting service like Box.
- Open Quickbooks application, open File menu & select Open or Restore Company.
- Click “Restore Backup” option and then click Next.
- Choose Local Backup and click “Next” option
- Browse your computer for the intended company data file which shall be in the format of file name.qbb.
Choose a folder to pick a location where you intend to save the restored back-up files and click open.
Changing the Directory
There are possibilities that the scheduled back-up is not working on moving a file and opening it for the first time, especially when it is the latest version of your application. If you encounter the above-mentioned problem, then try to open the file in a new location in your system and later click on the file name multiple times and then wait for 5-10 seconds.
After that, try to reopen the file and if you get an error try reopening it once again. There are strong possibilities that it will work on either second or third time.
Running QuickBooks in Compatibility Mode
For running Quickbooks in compatibility mode, do follow the following steps-
- Click on the Quickbooks application and choose properties option
- Allow Quickbooks to run in system compatibility mode.
- Click from the drop down and pick “window version”
- Select Apply and then click OK.
Rebuild Data Utility
If you are still facing problems, you can try rebuilding data-utility in your system software. For which, you need to-
- Open the Quickbooks desktop app and click utilities from the file menu
- Run Quickbooks scan for all errors and corruption
- Receive a message stating “Data has lost integrity” and click “File” menu again
- Go to utilities section and click “Rebuild data”
- Click “OK”
On Clicking “OK” you will get a back-up of your date on the Backup data window of your desktop and the Rebuild app will restore all damaged company data files.
Run QuickBooks as an Administrator
If you are the one who uses the Quickbooks application in a multi-user mode, you will be required to sign in to the system as the Administrator, which will allow you to change system settings blocking access and permissions by following the below-mentioned steps-
Step 1. Create window username and allow administrator admission access-
- Click on the windows and click “All programs”
- Open Windows Small Business Server and click “SBS Console”.
- Select “Users and Groups” and move to “new user accounts” option.
- Complete the requisite user details and click “Add a New User Account” wizard.
- Allow new user administrator rights.
- Click Finish.
Step 2: Allow access to QuickBooks application
Programs like Quickbooks need admin rights specifically over a multi-user network for example if you install QuickBooks Database Server Manager, you need to allow admin access to it for it to be able to run properly. Thus, to do the same, please go through the following steps-
- Shut Quickbooks Desktop on your system and open windows followed by start menu.
- Click Control Panel on the system and click user accounts
- Search for the Quickbooks user service version installed on your QuickBooks Desktop and choose the account type.
- Run the Administrator and alter the Account type.
- Click Apply.
- Repeat above-mentioned steps for each of the version of the Quickbooks Database server Manager.
Quickbooks is a one for all solution for multiple accounting, book keeping and other requirements for a small to mid- sized organization. QuickBooks makes it easier to maintain back-ups with options such as back-up reminders, data integrity validation, and scheduling backups from time to time.
However, this fact is worth noting that nothing is error-free in this world. Therefore, it is always advisable to maintain a local backup of company files to prevent harm to your business or loss of your important data. Additionally keep your system updated and do the above-mentioned to maintain all round safety. Good Luck!