QuickBooks Desktop software is accounting software that has been in the market for ages and has always been on the top since its launch. QuickBooks Desktop software is prone to errors and issues like any other computer accounting software. In this blog, you will get to know more about the quickbooks backup failed rebuild data issue and some other important aspects related to the same, so please read the whole blog very carefully.
QuickBooks backup error 1117 issue is one of the most common issues in the QuickBooks Desktop software, and it mainly occurs when there is a virus or malware attack in your computer system or this particular software.
To understand any error, you need to examine the reasons behind the specific error or issue you are facing to know the exact problem behind the issue. When you try to fix the case, it becomes easy for you.
As already mentioned, the root causes help you understand the primary reasons behind the issue that you are facing, and then it is easier to fix the issue because you know the exact problem behind it.
The root causes of quickbooks backup failed could not copy the company file are as follows:
- Inability to store backup files on a storage device: No storage device can be one of the reasons behind the quickbooks company backup failed issue. You need to make sure that you have enough storage devices so that there is a low chance of the QuickBooks Backup Failed issue.
- Network Data file damaged: When customers of QuickBooks Desktop get a data damage error, it may indicate that QuickBooks Desktop could not access the data in the company file. These problems may occur due to internal QuickBooks issues or external causes such as a wrong file location path.
- Incompatibility with certain systems: If your computer is not fully compatible, you can always change some of the hardware needed to be updated so that you don’t have to face the same issue.
- A security breach has occurred on the network: Unsecured network can also be one of the reasons behind the quickbooks desktop backup failed issue, so please make sure that you are working on a secure line whenever you work.
Steps to fix QuickBooks Backup Failed
Making a backup copy of your tax data file is always a bright idea if you lose the original or become corrupted. Here’s how to do it:
- Open the tax return that you want to back up in QuickBooks Desktop Software.
- Choose Save As Windows or Save As Mac from the File menu in the upper-left corner of QuickBooks Desktop software for Mac.
- Navigate to the location where you wish to store your backup.
- Enter a file name that distinguishes it from the original in the File name box. For example, incorporate “Backup” or “Copy” in the file name.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop software after clicking Save.
- Reopen QuickBooks Desktop software and choose the backup you created earlier. If you receive an error or it won’t open, remove it and restart the instructions to create a fresh backup.
- Finally, repeat these procedures anytime you modify the original to verify that both files are in sync.
Quickbooks Backup Failure – Other Steps
To fix a QuickBooks Backup Failed issue, you can use the tools available at the official website of Intuit, and you can always download them and run a scan, and they will help you fix these minor issues.
However, in this section of the blog, you will learn more about the manual solutions, which are as follows:
Back up the company’s data
You can easily resolve issues like can’t restore quickbooks backup file with backup file option. Making a backup of your QuickBooks Desktop Company File may assist you in resolving this problem.
You must do the following steps to make a backup of your QuickBooks Desktop company file:
- In QuickBooks, go to the File menu and choose Switch to Single-user Mode.
- Return to the File menu and choose Back up Company from the drop-down menu. Then, from the drop-down option, choose to Create Local Backup.
- In the box, choose Local Backup and then click Next.
- Choose Browse from the Local Backup Only menu and go to the location to save your backup company file.
- Determine how many backups you want to keep.
- This runs a test before saving to verify that your backup file is in good working order.
- When you’re done, choose OK.
- Choose to Save it immediately and then go on to the next step.
These are the steps that will help you create a backup of your company file, which might help you fix the QuickBooks Backup Failed issue, and if in case this doesn’t fix your issue, you must move on to the next solution.
Setup the backups
Applying Backup settings can help you fix these kinds of minor issues. There are two types of backup one is QuickBooks automatic Backup, and the other one is scheduled.
So starting with the QuickBooks Automatic Backup, here is what you need to do:
- Select Save Copy/Backup from the File menu. The Save Copy or Backup window will appear.
- Click Next after selecting the Backup Copy option.
- To configure your back defaults, such as where you want to store your local backup and so on, select Options, then Next.
- Choose between using this location and changing your location. Next should be selected.
- Click Next after selecting Only schedule future backups or Save it Now and schedule future backups.
- Put the required number in the Save backup copy automatically when I shut my business file every number> times box.
- Finish by clicking the Finish button.
These are the steps that will help you to apply the quickbooks backup failed rebuild data setting, and now, to understand the scheduled backup, you need to follow the steps that are as follows:
- Click Save Copy or Backup from the File menu to launch the backup wizard.
- Next, click Backup Copy.
- To change or check your backup defaults, go to Options (e.e. where you want to save the local backup). Next should be selected.
- Choose Only to plan future backups (this sets a schedule that will not perform a backup). Next should be selected.
- Click New in the Backup window’s Schedule section.
- Give your backup a name and a description. For future reference, this name will show in the list of scheduled backups.
- Select the folder/destination where you want the backup copies to be saved by clicking Browse.
- It’s worth noting that backups can’t be scheduled to a CD-ROM.
- You may choose several backup copies to retain by checking the box next to the number of backup copies.
- To access the Store Windows Password area, click Store Password and input the required login credentials. Make sure the login you’re using has rights to access the location.
- The backup time, frequency, and days were chosen. Select all days of the week and perform the job every “1” week, for example, if you want to conduct a daily backup.
- When you click OK, you’ll be sent back to the previous window. The planned backup will show up in the Backup on a Schedule window’s list.
These are the two kinds of backups that may help you fix the quickbooks backup failure issue, and in case if the error persists, you should move on to our next given solution.
Activate the Verify & Rebuild Data Utility
Verify Data self-identifies the most frequent data problems inside a business file. At the same time, Rebuild Data self-resolves the majority of the data integrity concerns found by Verify Data, and that might help you fix the quickbooks backup failed could not copy the company file issue.
To do that, you need to verify it first, and for verifying it, you need to follow the steps that are as follows:
- Select Window and then Close All.
- Verify the information. Select File and then Utilities. Select Data Verification. If you get the message “QuickBooks identified no issues with your data,” you don’t need to do anything more.
- There may already be an article on a particular error message. For detailed instructions, try looking for it on our QuickBooks Desktop help site.
- The message “Your data has lost integrity” implies that the file has been damaged. To fix the issue, follow the steps below to Rebuild Data.
Please note that the Assisted Payroll customers should speak with an Assisted Payroll representative before executing Rebuild Data.
These are the steps that will help you verify the data, and to rebuild the same, you need to go through the steps that are as follows:
- Select File, Utilities, and then rebuild Data from the drop-down menu.
- A warning notice will appear, advising you to back up your business file; click OK.
- Before a rebuild, a business file backup is required since the procedure may need to remove transactions or list items to repair the file in rare circumstances. A backup of your business file ensures that you have a safe copy of your company file before making any modifications.
- Choose a location for your backup and click OK at the bottom of the QuickBooks Desktop Backup box.
- Whether a popup appears asking if you wish to overwrite a backup file, choose NO. In the File name box, type a new name and save it.
- If the backup fails, choose Cancel from the Rebuild prompt and contact Payroll Support for help.
- As soon as the backup is complete, the Rebuild Data tool launches.
- When the notice “Rebuild has finished” appears, click OK.
Change the name of the file (.ND)
Renaming the QuickBooks Network Data file can be one of the reasons behind the QuickBooks Backup Failed and to do that, you need to follow the steps that are as follows:
- Open the folder containing your company’s information.
- Look for files with the same name as your business files but a different extension. ND.
- Select rename from the context menu when you right-click each file. At the end of each file name, add the term OLD. For instance, company file.qbw.nd.OLD.
These steps will help you rename the .ND file will eventually help you fix the QuickBooks Backup Failed issue, and if in case you are still unable to resolve the issue, you can move on to the next solution.
Uninstall and re-install QuickBooks
Resetting the QuickBooks Updates can help you fix this specific issue, and to reset the QuickBooks Updates, you can follow the steps, which are as follows:
- Choose Update QuickBooks from the QuickBooks Help menu
- Select all of the components you wish to get by clicking Update or Update Now.
- In the Update QuickBooks box, click Get Updates while holding down the Ctrl key on your computer.
- A notice will appear that says, “The full update will be re-downloaded.” The download may take a long time depending on the size of the file and your connection speed.”
- “To proceed, click OK.” Click the OK button.
- The download did not reset if you do not see this message. Repeat Step 3 after clicking Stop Downloading.
- QuickBooks will download all of the specified components in full after the download has been restarted.
In conclusion, QuickBooks Desktop software is accounting software that will help you manage the books and accounts of a particular organization. The only problem with every accounting software is that it is prone to errors and issues. In this blog, you will learn QuickBooks Backup Failed subject and aspects related to the same, so please read the whole blog carefully. I hope that this blog proves to be helpful and was worth your time.